20 March 2015

Around Singapore - Hidden gems @ Katong

After visiting Maple & Market, I wanted to head over to Strictly Pastry since it was nearby.
Decided to walk around 112 Katong first since I still needed time to digest the two cakes I ate at Maple & Market. hahha.

When I alighted at the bus stop,  I was greeted by a lovely row of shophouses with an interesting mix of cafes, restaurants and shops!  This being my first time exploring Katong (since it's quite far), it felt like I was uncovering a hidden gem (:

After admiring the lovely row of shops, headed in to 112 Katong. 

The mall has a slightly more unique mix of tenants (as compared to those along Orchard Road or some other heartland malls) with a good range of cafes and restaurants to chill at as well. I had such a good time exploring and shopping that I gave Strictly Pastry a miss in the end. haha. (:

The mall happened to be organising a Retro funival at the atrium with old school funfair games (need to pay though) and old school merchandise (from Munch) on sale (:


All the old school games I used to play in primary school! 
Especially five stones, pick up sticks and SNAP  (: such fun memories
A couple of kids and their mum were also browsing at the stall and I overheard them asking "What is this? What is Donkey/Snap?" Guess these games have really been overtaken by the iPad and computer :(

 Retro sweets and biscuits! 

 Ended up buying a set of 3 tops ($1.50) and 
 a "can" of mini-cola sweets ($0.70) 

Remember that I used to buy the sweet from the shop below my house and was so sad when they were no longer sold :( so glad I found it again! 


Headed upstairs where the gift and novelty shops were located. (:
 
A shop called Playboxz was having a moving out sale and these keychains were 3 for $5
Love the Lego brick keychain (another of my childhood memories (: )


 And... the best find for me that day was this! 
 
 

Gund Itty Bitty Bits Froggie (: $7.90 $7.10
From Nature's Collection
This frog plushie holds precious memories for me (: 
I first came across it at Nature's Collection @ Star Vista on a memorable day. They were having a closing down sale but decided not to get it.When I finally found a day to go back to get it, the shop had already closed down :(
Was really, really happy to have found it again as it has special meaning to me (:


My last stop of the day was Du Yi bookshop.
They have a bigger branch at Chinatown Point and I remembered it having quite a unique collection of children's toys and books.

Was hoping to find some cheap resources for school and true enough, picked up these 4 puzzles for $2 each (:
Simple enough for my students to play with and in line with my fruit theme for the term!  (:
Also picked up a Supermarket board book ($3.90) which I was so glad to find after searching high and low for a suitable (and cheap) grocery shopping/supermarket book to teach with.


What a hidden gem in the east of Singapore that brought back lots of nostalgic and happy memories (: 
Looking forward to more trips to Katong to visit the shophouse cafes and also shop for more cute items at the mall (:


18.03.2015

No comments:

Post a Comment